As more and more people are living longer, many seniors are now home alone. This is not a bad thing, but it can be a very lonely thing at times, and senior companion services can make a huge difference in the lives of many. But how do you choose the right service? These tips can help to make the process a little easier.
When you choose senior companion services, years in the business is a very important factor. For example, a new company may be just fine, but you can be sure you are getting the best services when you choose a company with 20, 30, or even 40 years of experience. There simply is no substitute for decades of experience working with seniors.
It is very important to understand the qualifications of a senior companion service before you let these people into your home. A good service should have the following qualifications:
- All workers are carefully screened before hiring. They must have the necessary qualifications and this includes training in CPR.
- Workers must submit to an extensive background check.
- Necessary senior companion services insurance like professional indemnity coverage
- Good work references and history
- Health certificate – workers must be in good health and not have any communicable diseases.
Can They Give You What You Need?
As you check out senior companion services, make sure they provide services you require. For example, you might need more than just someone to talk to. A quality companion service can provide a number of helpful in home services, such as:
- Assistance with meal preparation – your companion should have some kind of training in cooking and nutrition. In addition, this person should help monitor nutrition and make sure the senior is getting the right foods to eat, by helping to create healthy and well balanced meals.
- Housekeeping – quality senior companion services can take care of things like light housework. For example, they can vacuum and straighten things up.
- Other in home services – they also are there to assist with laundry and perhaps load and run the dishwasher.
Errands and Transportation
The best companionship services for the elderly can provide transportation services. For example, they can take you to the doctor’s office or pick up medications at the pharmacy. Maybe you need to get a few items at the local grocery store, or you would like to visit the barber shop or hair salon. These helpful services are available when you choose the right companion service.
If you are looking for quality senior companion services in the Washington DC region, you can
depend on Capital City Nurses. To find out more about the services we provide, visit us on the Web today at capitalcitynurses.com. You can also like them on Facebook.
Be the first to like.