A dental emergency can happen at any time. These emergencies can occur either through some sort of injury, or tooth decay. When you have a dental emergency, there are certain steps that you should take, depending on the emergency, after you contact an emergency dentist in Gurnee.
Chipped or Broken Tooth
If you chip or break a tooth, the first thing that you should do is contact an Emergency Dentist. Next, you need to take steps to try to save the tooth and to care for yourself.
- Save the pieces of the tooth.
- Rinse your mouth and the pieces of the tooth with warm water.
- If you are bleeding, hold a piece of gauze in your mouth for about 10 minutes.
- Put ice on the area to prevent swelling.
If you get your tooth knocked out, there is a chance that it can be saved, as long as you act fast.
- Call the dentist.
- Rinse off the tooth and its root with water. Be sure to hold it by the crown. Make sure that
- you do not scrub any tissue fragments from the root.
- If you can, put the tooth back into place, but do not force it into the socket.
- If you cannot get the tooth back in, place it in a container filled with milk.
- You must be seen by an emergency dentist in Gurnee within one hour of the tooth being
- knocked out.
A lost filling can be very painful. You should see a dentist as soon as possible after the filling falls out.
- Place a piece of sugarless gum into the hole. You can also try over-the-counter dental cement.
- There is no need to save the missing filling.
An abscess is an infection that occurs in the space between the teeth and the gums, or around the root of the tooth. An abscess can cause serious oral health and general health problems.
- Contact the dentist right away for an appointment.
- To ease the pain, rinse your mouth with a mild saltwater solution.
Dental emergencies can be very upsetting, and very painful. The emergency dentist serving Gurnee is here to help you, any time, any day. When your dental health is at risk, they will do everything they can to make sure that you’re treated as soon as possible. Excellence in Dentistry, LTD will be able to figure out if it’s worth coming into the office or if they can help you over the phone. For more inquiries, visit their website or contact them today.