Deciding to replace a commercial roof will probably involve taking a hard look at the budget. The first question may be, “Can we do another repair and put off the new roof for a while?”
Sometimes simple repairs will work for a while. However, repairing a roof that will fail again shortly is throwing money away. An experienced roofer doing Commercial Roofing in Columbus OH will thoroughly discuss the repair vs. replace options so that the owner can make an informed decision. There are a number of issues to consider.
The Age of the Roof
The age of the roof is the best indicator of whether or not a roof should be replaced. Regular maintenance definitely extends the lifespan of the roof and is very cost-effective.
- Commercial EPDM rubber roofs: 25-35 years
- Asphalt Shingles: 12-30 years
- Foam Roofing: 10-15 years
- Built Up Roofing (BUR): 20-30 years
- Thermoplastic Polyolefin Roofing (TPO): 10-20 years
- Most metal roofs: 30-50 years
If longevity and an elegant appearance are really important:
- Aluminum or copper metal roofs: 75 years
- Slate roofing: 75-200 years
One or two isolated leaks might only require a minor repair. However, if there are multiple leaks, this normally indicates a larger problem. Check for signs of dampness or leaking on interior walls, penetrations and drains after it rains.
Rising Energy Bills
If energy bills have been increasing for a few years with no explanation, it’s possible that the roof is not insulating the building properly. In addition to keeping out rain or snow, a roof is also supposed to keep heated or cooled air inside.
If there is concern about the state of a flat roof, take a couple hours to visually inspect it or request a roof inspection. The following problems may indicate a roof that needs to be replaced.
- Bubbles, cracks or blisters in the membrane
Alternatives to Replacing the Roof
A roof in relatively good condition may only require basic repairs and either:
- Roof re-covering – adding another membrane over the existing roof membrane
- Roof coating – applying a thin liquid membrane to increase the roof’s resistance to weather
has been providing Commercial Roofing in Columbus OH for 86 years and is a CertainTeed Premier Contractor. Visit to learn more about their commercial roofing services and request a free, no-obligation proposal.
Be the first to like.