Everyone who buys heating oil is aware that the price has risen steadily over the years. Whatever the factors that have caused the prices to go up – oil sheiks, international politics, refinery problems or other reasons – it doesn’t really matter to the person writing the check for the oil. They just want to keep their home warm.
While the homeowner has no control over the price of Heating oil in Madison, there are some things that can be done to keep the home warm while using less oil.
* Light up a stick of incense and hold it next to door and window openings. If the smoke wavers, you’ve found a draft. Stop drafts from coming under doors with a draft blocker. Remove the old caulking from windows and re-caulk. Don’t forget to hold incense near the thermostat(s) to check that there are no drafts hitting the thermostat and causing a false reading.
* Energy efficient curtains will help cut the heating bill. However, in order to get the maximum payback, the curtains must be hung correctly. The goal is to keep heat from leaving the room and cold from entering (this will help save on air conditioning costs also). Mount a cornice over the top of the curtain or hang the curtains as close to the ceiling as possible. Seal the curtains to the wall with magnetic tape. Floor length curtains will prevent more heat loss than short curtains. Maximum heat savings can be made by using two curtains: the curtain closest to the window will absorb the cold, while the inner curtain will remain noticeably warmer. The Department of Energy reports that energy efficient curtains hung properly can reduce heat loss by as much as 25%.
* Lower the thermostat. Every degree lower will save up to 3% of the heating bill. Dress warmly and the lower temperature will be comfortable.
* Even better, get a programmable thermostat. It will never forget to turn the heat down at night. They cost $50-100 but will save most families about $150 a year.
* Keep vents clean and make sure there is nothing blocking them.
* Have furnace serviced periodically. A well-maintained furnace will run more efficiently and save on oil.
East River Energy has been providing Heating Oil in Madison since 1984. Now, they also provide Bioheat, a cleaner, environmentally friendly home heating product. Visit the website to learn more about saving money this winter.
Be the first to like.